Tru by Hilton Marks Milestone Growth With 200th Hotel: Brand Soars by Appealing to New Owners and Expanding to New Markets
Tru adds nearly 100 hotels during pandemic, announces expansion to Brazil, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Puerto Rico
MCLEAN, Va. - Tru by Hilton, Hilton’s (NYSE: HLT) game-changing, midscale brand, is marking its five-year anniversary with the opening of its milestone 200th hotel. This feat represents the tremendous growth the brand has experienced since its record-breaking launch in 2016, adding nearly 100 hotels to its portfolio since the beginning of 2020*, all in the midst of the global pandemic.
Tru was developed from the ground up using owner and consumer feedback–and the brand continues to attract owners and developers around the globe, many of whom are new to working with Hilton. Tru has grown its pipeline to nearly 270 hotels, and is now set to make its debut in the Caribbean and Latin America, with a new regional prototype and hotel developments in Brazil, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico and Puerto Rico.
Tru was designed to disrupt the midscale category and offer a new type of product to appeal to owners and developers.
- Since its inception, nearly one of every four Tru hotels was developed by an owner new to Hilton.
- From the beginning of 2020 through the first half of 2021, during a pandemic that essentially shut down global travel, that number grew to one in three owners new to Hilton.
- Tru focuses on what matters most to guests, while offering a strong value proposition for owners. The brand continuously appeals to a new-to-Hilton partner audience, and continues to solicit owner feedback as it grows.
Value-engineered with a turnkey prototype, small development site and an efficient staffing model, Tru provides first-time hotel owners an excellent entry point to open a Hilton-branded hotel, benefiting from the power and reputation of the world’s first hospitality company, with the scale and strength of its high-performing commercial engine and loyalty of its 115 million Hilton Honors members.
“We attribute the remarkable pace of growth to Tru by Hilton’s ability to attract new owners with a packaged approach that makes it easy for investors to join a powerhouse global company,” said Talene Staab, global head, Tru by Hilton. “Tru has shown unstoppable momentum since the brand’s inception five years ago, where it took off as the fastest brand launch in industry history. We’re elated to now have more than 200 hotels welcoming travelers across the U.S. and Canada, and look forward to expanding our international footprint into the Caribbean and Latin America.”
Tru is expected to make its Caribbean and Latin America bow in late 2021 with the opening of Tru by Hilton Criciuma in Brazil, followed by Tru by Hilton Monterrey Fundidora in Mexico in early 2022. The following locations will also soon join the brand’s portfolio and will be among the first to feature Tru’s regionalized prototype:
- Brazil: Tru by Hilton Chapeco (expected to open in 2022)
- Costa Rica: Tru by Hilton San Jose Airport (expected to open in 2023)
- Dominican Republic: Tru by Hilton Punta Cana (expected to open in 2022)
- Puerto Rico: Tru by Hilton Arecibo; Tru by Hilton San Juan Condado (both expected to open in 2023)
Similar to Tru’s North American design, the Caribbean and Latin America product is inspired by the region. The brand tapped Mexico-based firm Arquitectura de Interiores to design the prototype, which includes subtle refinements such as:
- Room Size: Queen or two double bed guest room layouts will offer a room size to suit guests in the highly competitive midscale market in the region, while still retaining all of the brand’s signature guest room attributes, such as large windows that invite natural light into the room, along with a large TV and minifridge.
- Updated Exterior and Color Palette: Exteriors will feature an updated facade; in addition to a softened color palette.
- Localized F&B: Up to 20 percent of Tru by Hilton’s complimentary build-your-own “Top It” breakfast bar will feature regional food items, and the 24/7 market will offer local gourmet snacks and drinks.
- Design Approach: Tru will offer a “kit of parts” approach to hotel design to provide owners with specifications and packages to allow for prototypical deployment.
Tru by Hilton signature elements that guests know and love will also be offered in-region, including enlarged lobbies with areas to work, play games, eat or lounge; custom murals inspired by each property’s local attractions; and modern fitness centers featuring popular fitness equipment such as barre, resistance bands, free weights, cardio and flexibility gear and fitness center tablets.
Tru by Hilton is part of Hilton Honors, the award-winning guest-loyalty program for Hilton’s 18 distinct hotel brands. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount that can’t be found anywhere else and free standard Wi-Fi. Members also enjoy popular digital tools available exclusively through the industry-leading Hilton Honors mobile app.
As Tru by Hilton responds to the COVID-19 pandemic, some services and amenities have been adjusted in order to adhere to health and safety guidance from local governments. To emphasize our commitment to the health and safety of guests, Tru by Hilton is participating in the Hilton CleanStay Program to deliver an industry-defining standard of cleanliness. Our elevated processes and Team Member training have been developed to help Tru by Hilton guests enjoy an even cleaner and safer stay from check-in to check-out.
*Data from 1/1/2020 – 5/31/2021.
About Tru by Hilton
Tru by Hilton is a game-changing hotel brand with 200 open locations across North America, providing guests with a consistent, fun experience at an affordable price. Spirited, simplified and grounded in value, Tru by Hilton is designed for cross-generational appeal. Efficiently designed modern guestrooms feature rolling desks, oversized windows for natural light and bright, spacious bathrooms. Guests can enjoy complimentary breakfast and fast WiFi. Premium snacks, light meal options and single-serve wine and beer are available for purchase at the 24/7 Eat. & Sip. market. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits. Learn more at trubyhilton.com or newsroom.hilton.com/trubyhilton, and connect with Tru by Hilton on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 18 world-class brands comprising more than 6,500 properties and more than one million rooms, in 119 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its founding vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality, Hilton has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its more than 100-year history, earned a top spot on the 2020 World’s Best Workplaces list, and was named the 2020 Global Industry Leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices. In 2020, Hilton CleanStay was introduced, bringing an industry-defining standard of cleanliness and disinfection to hotels worldwide. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, the more than 115 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can’t buy. With the free Hilton Honors mobile app, guests can book their stay, select their room, check in, unlock their door with a Digital Key and check out, all from their smartphone. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.Download Article Photos