Hilton Brisbane Celebrates National Recycling Week
BRISBANE, Australia - This week, Hilton Brisbane celebrates National Recycling Week by acknowledging its environmental initiatives and recycling programs implemented over the past year.
Team Members have been hard at work incorporating recycling schemes across every facet of the hotel to ensure waste is reduced and product can be donated where possible to local community charities. This is once again a testament of Hilton’s efforts to double its investment in social impact and cut its environmental footprint in half by 2030 as part of Travel with Purpose, Hilton’s corporate responsibility strategy.
Hilton Brisbane works with several local and national partners to ensure waste is being disposed of in the most useful and sustainable way.
Hilton Brisbane’s Recycling Initiatives:
- Recycles all waste soap from guest rooms, which is then upcycled into new bars of soap and distributed to developing countries and communities in need through Soap Aid.
- Collects single-use bottles as part of the ReturnIt scheme, and with its profits the hotel supports community partners and other Travel with Purpose initiatives.
- Donates all edible/usable food waste to OzHarvest for those in need instead of disposing in general waste.
- Single-use coffee cups are donated to Closed Loop to be recycled into items of higher value.
- Donates small bottles of leftover amenities to OrangeSky for its shower services.
- Donates pre-loved corporate wear to Suited for Success, which provides assistance to disadvantaged locals seeking employment.
- Recycles toothbrushes and oral care products through Terracycle.
- Donates retired beds and mattresses to the Inala Youth Service.
- Old sheets are repurposed to make pillowcases or other linen items instead of throwing them out, any other items are donated to charity.
- Oil is collected by an oil-recycling company.
- Lightbulbs are recycled through Pr-Lamps.
- All general waste that cannot be recycled is sent to the Ti-Tree Bio Energy plant, which turns waste into energy.
The Team at Hilton Brisbane has demonstrated its place as a leader in the industry and community and proudly supported a number of local and global initiatives over the years. The Brisbane hotel was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame for its Outstanding Community Service 100+ employees, as well as being recognised as a finalist for Best Environmental Practice at the recent 2019 Queensland Hotel Association Awards held in Brisbane in October 2019.
Chris Partridge, General Manager at Hilton Brisbane, said, “Our Team Members work meticulously to ensure the hotel is tackling waste management and reducing our environmental footprint through every avenue possible.
“National Recycling Week is a fantastic opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to the community and help make Hilton’s Travel with Purpose goals a reality by celebrating the key milestones thus far,” said Mr. Partridge.
Earlier this year, Hilton Brisbane commemorated the hotel chain’s 100th anniversary by planting 100 trees in a local Mount Gravatt parkland to give back to the community, offset their carbon emissions and leave a legacy for many years to come.
About Travel with Purpose
Travel with Purpose is Hilton’s corporate responsibility strategy to redefine and advance sustainable travel globally. By 2030, we plan to double our social impact investment and cut our environmental footprint by half. We track, analyze and report our environmental and social impact at each of Hilton’s nearly 6,000 hotels through LightStay, our award-winning performance measurement system. Travel with Purpose capitalizes on Hilton’s global scale to catalyze local economic growth; promote human rights; invest in people and local communities; and preserve our planet by reducing our impact on natural resources. Our strategy aligns with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Visit cr.hilton.com to learn more.
About Hilton Hotels & Resorts
For 100 years, Hilton Hotels & Resorts has set the benchmark for hospitality around the world, providing new product innovations and services to meet guests' evolving needs. With 585 hotels across six continents, Hilton Hotels & Resorts properties are located in the world’s most sought-after destinations for guests who know that where they stay matters. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits. Begin your journey at www.hiltonhotels.com, and learn more by visiting newsroom.hilton.com/hhr and following Hilton Hotels & Resorts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 17 world-class brands comprising nearly 6,000 properties with more than 954,000 rooms, in 117 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company, Hilton earned a spot on the 2019 World’s Best Workplaces list, and has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its 100-year history. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, more than 100 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can’t buy, plus enjoy instant benefits, including digital check-in with room selection, Digital Key, and Connected Room. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.