Hilton Continues Africa Expansion with Launch of First Botswana Property
Hilton Garden Inn Gaborone opens its doors in the heart of the capital’s new central business district
GABORONE, Botswana and MCLEAN, Va. - Sub-Saharan Africa’s bourgeoning country of Botswana today welcomed its first Hilton property with the opening of Hilton Garden Inn Gaborone. The property is Hilton’s (NYSE:HLT) first in the country and joins 43 existing Hilton properties in Africa, including three by Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton’s award-winning midscale brand, as the hospitality leader continues to expand its presence across the continent.
Conveniently located in the heart of the capital’s up-and-coming central business district, Hilton Garden Inn Gaborone forms part of a mixed-use retail and office development and is just a 15-minute drive from the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport. Set to welcome business travellers and holiday seekers alike, the hotel is within close proximity of local attractions, including the Gaborone Game Reserve, the Airport Junction shopping centre and the Mokolodi Nature Reserve.
The 147-room property offers options ranging from standard king and twin rooms to suites and interconnected rooms, making it an ideal lodging choice for solo travellers, groups and families. All rooms are fitted with Digital Key, Hilton’s mobile-enabled room key technology that allows guests to simply and securely unlock their room door using their smartphone. The hotel also features a 24/7 business center, four meeting rooms, all fitted with the latest A/V equipment, as well as three boardrooms that open to the pool terrace, making it the perfect venue for hosting a meeting, event or an al fresco lunch.
Known for its exotic wildlife, vast grasslands and natural reserves, Botswana is a member of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) and one of Africa’s fastest developing countries. The prospering African nation continues to ramp up efforts to attract both business and tourism, with the latter reportedly contributing 11.5% to the country’s GDP in 2017.1
According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, the country’s travel and tourism sector is expected to contribute a total of 76,000 jobs in 2018 and 100,000 jobs in 2028 (directly and indirectly), accounting for about 8% of the country’s workforce.1 Meanwhile, tourism figures from the country’s statistics centre put the number of arrivals in 2015 at just over 2.5 million2 – more than the country’s total population. Of those, approximately 1.7 million are tourists.
“A flourishing country with a bright future, Botswana is increasingly becoming a sought-after destination for both leisure and business. We are very excited to be opening our doors in the heart of the capital’s central business district,” said Evan Harrington, the hotel’s general manager. “Whether coming to explore the country’s wildlife and beautiful landscapes, attend a business venture, or both, guests will take comfort in Hilton Garden Inn’s services and amenities, including our 24/7 Pavilion Pantry and state-of-the-art meeting rooms, all backed by Hilton’s world-renowned approach to hospitality.”
HILTON GARDEN INN GABORONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Contemporary hotel conveniently located in the heart of Gaborone’s central business district and just a 15-minute drive from the Sir Seretse Khama International Airport
- 24/7 Pavilion Pantry, business centre, fitness centre fitted with the latest equipment and outdoor pool
- Nearby local attractions include the Gaborone Game Reserve, the Airport Junction shopping centre and the Mokolodi Nature Reserve
- Offers digital check-in via the Hilton Honors app
- 147 contemporary and spacious guestrooms, all equipped with the latest technology and ergonomic comfort for maximum convenience
- All rooms fitted with Digital Key, Hilton’s mobile-enabled room key technology
- Room options include standard king and twin rooms, suites, and interconnected rooms perfect for groups or families
- Mini-fridge and coffee/tea station in every room
- Complimentary WiFi
- Comfortable bedding and blackout curtains
- Exceptional workspace, including a large desk and ergonomic chair
- 43-inch LCD TV
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily at Sangra Grill & Bar restaurant
- Sanga Grill & Bar serves up sumptuous steaks from the best quality Botswana beef and fresh local produce
- Daily evening room service, delivering tasty meals directly to your room door
- Pavilion Pantry®, a 24-hour market offering an assortment of snacks and refreshments
BUSINESS & EVENTS
- Versatile function space for small to medium meetings and events
- Four meeting rooms, all located on the ground floor and fitted with the latest A/V equipment. This includes three boardrooms that open up to the poolside terrace and one large room that can be sub-divided into three rooms
- Spacious pre-function area, perfect for coffee breaks or to use as conference registration
- 24/7 business centre equipped with photocopier, printer and fax
- Complimentary printing and WiFi
For further information about the hotel, contact Evan Harrington on +267 7645 8192
To download images and videos, and for more information, visit the Hilton Garden Inn Newsroom.
About Hilton Garden Inn
The award-winning Hilton Garden Inn brand provides business and leisure guests upscale, affordable accommodations and unexpected amenities for an experience that is ‘Simply on Another Level.’ The Hilton Garden Inn Promise affirms the brand’s goal to make each guest’s stay better and brighter. Guaranteed. Team Members at more than 840 hotels in 45 countries around the world ensure today’s busy travelers have a bright and satisfying experience, starting with the first hello. As a recognized F&B leader, Hilton Garden Inn serves locally-sourced food and beverage at its full-service restaurants and bars, featuring cooked-to-order breakfast, handcrafted cocktails, and on-trend small plates. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to instant benefits. For more information about Hilton Garden Inn, visit www.hgi.com or newsroom.hilton.com/hgi, and connect on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 17 world-class brands comprising nearly 5,900 properties with more than 939,000 rooms, in 114 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company, Hilton earned a spot on the 2018 world’s best workplaces list, and has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its 100-year history. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, more than 94 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can’t buy, plus enjoy instant benefits, including digital check-in with room selection, Digital Key, and Connected Room. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.