Five New Year’s Resolutions for a More Curious 2019
To help travelers delve into their curiosity, Curio Collection by Hilton partnered with celebrated travel expert and journalist, Ashlan Cousteau, who has shared her love of exploration in programs on E!, Discovery Channel, Travel Channel and more. As we head in to 2019, Ashlan shares some realistic resolutions to start the New Year off.
A New Year and a new you…or at least that’s what we promise ourselves every January. One of my resolutions for the past 15 years has been to floss my teeth more, and alas, I always fail a few weeks in. So here are some New Year resolutions that you (and I) can make and will enjoy keeping all year long.
- Less screen time We are all guilty of spending way too much time looking at our phones. Make a promise to put it away at dinner time or have your Sunday afternoons sans phone. It is a little weird in the beginning but by the third time you realize just how wonderful it is not to have to look at your phone constantly.
- Travel more (even if only minutes away from home) Traveling can expand your world, create lasting memories and change your whole outlook on life. As Curio Collection by Hilton’s spokesperson, I was given the chance to explore some amazing places this past year. Curio Collection offers curious travelers one-of-a-kind hotels around the world that are truly rooted in their destination. But sometimes you just can’t get away, whether that’s because of work, family obligations or a lack of cash. However, you don't have to travel across the globe to cure your wanderlust. Why not plan a stay-cation? Curio Collection has locations for every type of curious traveler and trip, whether it be Gale South Beach, Curio Collection by Hilton in Miami or Lincoln Plaza London, Curio Collection by Hilton – I promise your one-night stay will feel like two days.
- Get outside It has been proven that fresh air and sunshine are good for us (physically and mentally). Plain and simple. Get outside, listen to the birds and soak up a little sunshine to start your year off right. As part of Curio Collection’s Curious Gene program, I discovered my curiosity type – pathfinder, always treating the world as my playground.
- Explore your city Let’s face it, familiarity breeds contempt. I lived in NYC for four years and never made it to the top of the Empire State Building. People tend to write off where they live, as just the place they live and not a place to visit. But go explore it. Tour your city’s historic buildings, find out it’s weird history or even sign up for a local guided bike tour. There is so much to discover right around your corner. If you find yourself to be a culturalist, you know that it’s the experience you crave most.
- Try a new cuisine Cultures are deeply intertwined with their food. The sounds, smells and colors in authentic kitchens will transport you to a different land. For example, I took my niece and nephew to try Ethiopian food and they loved everything about it, from the names of the dishes to trying new spices and of course eating with their hands! Be an epicurean for the day and try navigating the world via your taste buds. It’s a wonderful new experience that will not only open your palate but will also open up your view of other cultures.
Happy 2019 from my family to yours. And always remember, adventure is where you lead a full life.
- Ashlan Cousteau
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 16 world-class brands comprising more than 5,600 properties with nearly 913,000 rooms, in 113 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company, Hilton earned a spot on the 2018 world’s best workplaces list, and has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its nearly 100 year history. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program, Hilton Honors, nearly 85 million members who book directly with Hilton have access to instant benefits, including digital check-in with room selection, Digital Key, and Connected Room. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.