Statement from Hilton
Our statement of July 24, 2020 remains true. We believe that hotels should be places of hospitality, and the detainment of migrants, including minors, is not activity that we support or in any way want associated with our hotels.
Since that date we have taken a number of positive actions including:
- Reinforcing our longstanding policy with all owners, management companies and hotel General Managers across the United States
- Updating and communicating our enforceable, global brand standards to make specific mention of our policy on detainment
- Reviewing with hotels in our network any possible reservations that could fit this profile and confirming their ongoing compliance with our standards
- Contacting government officials to reinforce our longstanding policy
- Supporting the AHLA’s related statement on behalf of the industry
We have no information to suggest that Hilton properties are currently being used for detainment purposes.
July 24, 2020
We believe that hotels should be places of hospitality.
Hilton has confirmed reports that the independently owned and managed Hampton Inn & Suites in McAllen, TX had accepted reservations from a private contractor working on behalf of U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement. We understand these reservations were to house migrants, including minors, as they were transported between locations.
This is not activity that we support or in any way want associated with our hotels.
Our policy has always been that hotels should not be used as detention centers or for detaining individuals. We expect all Hilton properties to reject business that would use a hotel in this way. We are in the process of contacting all Hilton owners and management companies in the U.S. to remind them of our policy, and provide guidance on identifying and preventing this type of business.
We can also confirm that Hilton did not facilitate these reservations and does not have an enterprise agreement with the private contractor.
The ownership of the Hampton Inn & Suites in McAllen has tonight confirmed that they have cancelled this business and that the minors and chaperones are no longer at the hotel. They have also confirmed that their property will not accept similar reservations in the future.View More News