Hilton Worldwide Releases 2013-2014 Corporate Responsibility Report
Global hospitality company achieves carbon reduction goal; announces youth commitment and receives three ISO certifications across hotel portfolio
MCLEAN, Va. - Hilton Worldwide (NYSE: HLT) today released its 2013-2014 corporate responsibility report. The report is Hilton Worldwide's third corporate responsibility report, and its first since returning to public markets following a record-breaking initial public offering (IPO) in December 2013. The report highlights efforts, achievements and priorities across the four focus areas of Hilton Worldwide's corporate responsibility strategy, Travel with Purpose: creating opportunities, strengthening communities, celebrating cultures and living sustainability.
"2013 was a year of tremendous progress for Hilton Worldwide. As we build on this momentum, we are mindful of the need to achieve this growth in a responsible and sustainable manner," said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO, Hilton Worldwide. "Travel with Purpose serves as the guide for growing our company in a way that benefits our business as well as the communities where we live, work and travel. I am proud of the progress we have made and will continue to make as we look to achieve our goals in the future."
Key achievements highlighted in the report include:
- Reducing energy use by 13.6 percent, carbon output by 20.2 percent, waste output by 26.8 percent and water use by 13.1 percent since 2009
- Achieving ISO 50001 energy management system certification across our entire portfolio of hotels, making Hilton Worldwide one of the first multinational organizations to certify its entire system globally
- Announcing our global "Open Doors" commitment, which aims to impact at least 1 million young people by 2019 by helping them to reach their full potential
- Launching the Global Youth Wellbeing Index, a tool for governments, businesses and civil society to use to advance youth agendas, funding and programs
- Hosting more than 600 career awareness events as part of Careers@HiltonLive, reaching more than 73,000 young people around the world
- Hiring more than 2,000 United States veterans and their families since launching Operation: Opportunity in 2013
- Training nearly 2,000 managers and department heads on child trafficking awareness and reaching more than 45,000 Team Members through our Code of Conduct training
- Activating nearly 2,400 global projects and contributing 200,000 volunteer hours during our Global Week of Service
- Participating in the Carbon Disclosure project
- Supporting more than 700 hotels with our Living Sustainably environmental awareness campaign
"Responsibility and sustainability are key parts of our long-term business strategy. We are proud of the work our Team Members and franchise partners around the world do to drive local solutions that result in new opportunities for youth, the development of responsible supply chains, conservation of scarce natural resources, as well as greater cultural understanding and support for human rights," said Jennifer Silberman, vice president of corporate responsibility, Hilton Worldwide.
To learn more about Hilton Worldwide's commitment and approach to corporate responsibility and to view the 2013-2014 corporate responsibility report, please visit cr.hiltonworldwide.com.
About Travel with Purpose
Travel with Purpose is Hilton Worldwide's corporate responsibility commitment to providing shared value to its business and communities in four areas - creating opportunities for individuals to reach their full potential; strengthening communities where Hilton Worldwide operates; celebrating cultures and the power of travel; and living sustainably through the measurement, analysis and improvement of the company's use of natural resources. Visit cr.hiltonworldwide.com to learn more.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 16 world-class brands comprising more than 5,600 properties with nearly 913,000 rooms, in 113 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company, Hilton earned a spot on the 2018 world’s best workplaces list, and has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its nearly 100 year history. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program, Hilton Honors, nearly 85 million members who book directly with Hilton have access to instant benefits, including digital check-in with room selection, Digital Key, and Connected Room. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.Download Article Photos