Hilton Enters Next Century With Resilient Operating Performance in Asia Pacific
Global hospitality company caps off dynamic 100th year with strong development growth amid challenging business outlook
SINGAPORE - Hilton (NYSE: HLT) has announced its fourth quarter and full year 2019 results, which highlighted the strength of its resilient business model and organic growth strategy.
With 352 hotels in operation and 583 hotels in the pipeline, Hilton is one of the fastest-growing hospitality companies in Asia Pacific, with one in five rooms under construction in Asia Pacific carrying a Hilton flag – increasing to one in three in China.
As part of its continuing growth journey in Asia Pacific, Hilton has kicked off 2020 with its recent signing of a new LXR Hotels & Resorts property in Kyoto, Japan, marking the debut of the luxury collection brand in Asia Pacific.
“Having wrapped up our centenary milestone, we will continue to remain focused on our long-term growth in the region, as we navigate short-term head winds, guided by our driving purpose to be the most hospitable company in the world and create a positive, long lasting impact on our communities. As we move forward, we will continue to expand on the Hilton Effect so that we can continue to serve our guests for any travel need they have, anywhere in the world,” said Alan Watts, president, Asia Pacific, Hilton.
Hilton’s latest performance builds on its achievements in Asia Pacific in 2019, which include:
Growth & Performance Highlights
- Hilton’s footprint across the region with nearly 70 hotel openings, driving strong growth across the portfolio of eight brands in Asia Pacific, including the launch of SAii Lagoon Maldives, Curio Collection by Hilton, Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi and DoubleTree by Hilton Perth Northbridge.
- Opened the 200th hotel in China with the debut of Canopy by Hilton Chengdu City Centre, and the 300th hotel in Asia Pacific with Hampton by Hilton Xi’an Beidajie.
- Signed over 200 deals, which include Hilton Sapporo Park, the entry of Canopy by Hilton in Thailand with Canopy by Hilton Bangkok Sukhumvit, as well as the entry of Tapestry Collection by Hilton in Asia Pacific.
- 2019 marked the fifth year of Hilton’s partnership with Plateno Hotels Group to rapidly launch and develop the Hampton by Hilton brand in China. In five years, the Hampton by Hilton brand in Greater China has become the fastest growing singular brand in China, growing to 100 trading hotels, with almost 400 properties in the pipeline.
- In terms of brand value and brand equity, Hilton has globally outperformed competitors to be the most valuable hotel brand in the world. The flagship Hilton Hotels and Resorts brand is the world's most valuable single hotel brand, while the three fastest-growing hotel brands – DoubleTree by Hilton, Hampton by Hilton and Homewood Suites – are in Hilton's portfolio.
- Building on a history and legacy of innovation to define the hospitality experience, Hilton launched the Hilton Garden Inn Accelerator in China. The Hilton Garden Inn Accelerator is a prototype of the current Hilton Garden Inn brand that has been adjusted to resonate with the local Chinese consumer in a regionally-relevant way, but is still anchored on global brand standards like bright and airy spaces and “bright hearted” service standards. It also systematically delivers talents and professional training programs for owners. To date, 12 hotels have been signed on the back of the launch.
- Launched a series of WeChat Mini Programs which offer a complete journey of online services, including booking, hotel information and local exploration, payment, meal ordering and social sharing, to improve the guest experience and travel efficiency. The Mini Apps on WeChat allow guests to book at all Hilton properties across Greater China and Mongolia, as well as more than 300 hotels in popular outbound destinations.
Great Place to Work
- Continued to be recognised as a Great Place to Work globally and across Asia Pacific:
- Ranked #3 in the Asia’s Best Multinational Workplace 2019 list and the leading hospitality company to work for for the third consecutive year, according to global research and consulting firm Great Place to Work®, and #2 on the list of World’s Best Workplaces by Fortune magazine and Great Place to Work.
- Received certification as a Great Place to Work in six countries across South East Asia – namely Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Named #2 Best Workplace in Greater China for the fifth consecutive year and listed as one of the country’s best workplaces for women for the first time, building on earlier Great Place to Work recognitions in Australia and India.
- Celebrated dynamic and aspirational workplaces with the move to its new Asia Pacific headquarters at Centennial Towers in Singapore, a brand-new office space in Delhi, and expansion of its corporate offices in Shanghai and Tokyo.
100th Anniversary Celebrations and Activations
- Launched the Hilton Effect Foundation in celebration of its milestone 100th anniversary, to help create a better world to travel by investing in organisations and people that have a positive impact on the communities Hilton serves. The initial grants will support programs around the globe that are creating opportunities for youth, aiding in disaster recovery, and supporting water stewardship and sustainability.
- Hundreds of hotels throughout Asia Pacific extended Hilton’s hospitality into communities with ‘Acts of Hospitality’ in communities including China, Australia, Japan and Indonesia to mark the momentous 100th anniversary.
- Launch of Room 702 video series to mark the 50th anniversary of John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Bed-In for Peace, which builds on Conrad Hilton’s original vision of filling the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality through travel and tourism. In Asia Pacific, this was launched on Thanksgiving, featuring Nick Li, security manager at Hilton Chengdu, who has held on to his dream of creating a brighter future for underprivileged children through education.
To learn more about Hilton, please visit newsroom.hilton.com.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 18 world-class brands comprising more than 6,500 properties and more than one million rooms, in 119 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its founding vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality, Hilton has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its more than 100-year history, earned a top spot on the 2020 World’s Best Workplaces list, and was named the 2020 Global Industry Leader on the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices. In 2020, Hilton CleanStay was introduced, bringing an industry-defining standard of cleanliness and disinfection to hotels worldwide. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program Hilton Honors, the more than 115 million members who book directly with Hilton can earn Points for hotel stays and experiences money can’t buy. With the free Hilton Honors mobile app, guests can book their stay, select their room, check in, unlock their door with a Digital Key and check out, all from their smartphone. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.Download Article Photos