From Egypt to Fiji, Hilton Team Members are Thriving – and Pursuing Their Dreams
MCLEAN, Va. - What would you do if you were given four weeks and $5,000 to pursue your passion? Hilton has done just that for Team Members through its Thrive Sabbatical: Give a Dream, Live a Dream program. The month-long sabbatical provides Hilton Team Members the chance to recharge and spend time doing what means most to them. Winners from the inaugural program are returning from adventures and life-changing volunteer experiences in destinations as far-reaching as Tanzania, Mexico, Egypt, Fiji and the Philippines. Watch highlights from their journeys here.
Last year, Hilton asked Team Members what they would do if given four weeks and $5,000 to pursue a dream. Entrants could apply to either Give a Dream to enrich the lives of others through a philanthropic or volunteer activity, or Live a Dream to spend time achieving a personal goal or exploring a new interest or embarking on a meaningful adventure. Ten winners were selected to make their dream a reality, all with salary continuation and benefits. Additionally, 20 runners up received a donation of up to $1,000 in their name to a charity of their choice.
"Creating exceptional experiences for our guests is at the heart of what we do and we wanted to extend this same opportunity to our Team Members,” said Matt Schuyler, chief human resources officer at Hilton. “We launched the Thrive Sabbatical program to allow these Team Members to return to work feeling rejuvenated and accomplished. What we did not realize is how humbled and inspired we would all feel, as we heard their stories and learnt about their journeys.”
Thrive Sabbaticals included:
- Holly Randall from DoubleTree Tower of London volunteered with Child Support Tanzania – a nonprofit focused on giving children with disabilities access to a normal education.
- Rachael Martinez from Hilton Sales U.S. volunteered with the Lions Club to set up a temporary eyeglass clinic in remote villages in Mexico. The clinic serves 1,000 to 1,500 people daily and is helping people to see--sometimes for the first time.
- Ingy Helal from Egypt put together a partnership between Hilton, UNICEF and the Ministry of Youth to train women and provide job opportunities with Hilton.
- Wilsoni Buadromo from Hilton Fiji volunteered with The Foundation for the Education of Needy Children, an NGO based in Fiji with the vision of making education accessible to the nation’s poorest children.
- Frank Becker from Florida volunteered and hosted Food Program Holiday and Pre-School events in the Philippines for children in extremely deprived areas. Each event provided food, fun, games and gifts or school supplies for 100-200 children.
Team Members were also able to Live a Dream and learn new skills that are personally fulfilling and in many cases help them to create even better experiences for guests. These journeys included a trip to distilleries and vineyards around Europe for a Bogota-based bartender to expand his knowledge and skills, and the completion of a lifelong dream of learning to sail for an office coordinator from Rome.
The Thrive Sabbatical program is part of the company’s Team Member Value Proposition, Thrive@Hilton, a framework that supports Team Members through their journey at Hilton, where busy work days are balanced with time to recharge.
The second annual Thrive Sabbatical program launches this month, providing another 10 winners from around the world the opportunity to spend a month following their dream. The program is open to both hotel and corporate Team Members.
Hilton (NYSE: HLT) is a leading global hospitality company with a portfolio of 16 world-class brands comprising more than 5,600 properties with nearly 913,000 rooms, in 113 countries and territories. Dedicated to fulfilling its mission to be the world’s most hospitable company, Hilton earned a spot on the 2018 world’s best workplaces list, and has welcomed more than 3 billion guests in its nearly 100 year history. Through the award-winning guest loyalty program, Hilton Honors, nearly 85 million members who book directly with Hilton have access to instant benefits, including digital check-in with room selection, Digital Key, and Connected Room. Visit newsroom.hilton.com for more information, and connect with Hilton on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube.Download Article Photos